1. Eligibility: For this contest, any legal U.S. resident above the age of 18 is eligible to nominate any person who serves as a lifeguard or has participated in some life-saving water activity. Employees of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance and USA Swimming Foundation (“Sponsors”), their respective parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, franchisees, divisions, advertising, promotional, fulfillment and marketing agencies (collectively, together with Sponsors, the “Contest Entities”), their immediate families (parent, child, sibling or spouse) and persons living in the same households as such individuals (whether related or not) are not eligible to participate in the Contest.
Ten (10) finalists will be selected by a governing committee chosen by the Sponsors based on criteria set by Sponsors board of directors. One (1) grand-prize winner will be selected from the pool of finalists based on the number of votes from the Facebook community. The winner of the Competition will receive a trip to the 12th Annual National Drowning Prevention Symposium in Fort Lauderdale, FL from March 13-15, 2013. Hotel, airfare and conference fees will be covered for the winner of the Competition.
2. How to Enter: Go to http://www.facebook.com/NationalDrowningPreventionAlliance, and click on the “Lifesaver of the Year” contest tab. To enter, nominees must complete the form and include an essay up to 500 words describing how their nominee has impacted their life or the lives of others in a water-related capacity. Complete the nominator and nominee information. This information will be used to contact winners and collect further information as needed to process campaign details.
Read and agree to the Official Rules. All contestants must have a valid email address. Limit one (1) entry per person. Limit one (1) entry per e-mail address. No automated entry devices and/or programs permitted. All entries become the sole and exclusive property of Sponsors and receipt of entries will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsors are not responsible for lost, late, illegible, stolen, incomplete or invalid entries. Only fully completed entries will be accepted. Proof of submission will not be considered proof of receipt by Sponsors.
3. Submission Period: The submission period begins on October 3, 2012 at 8:00 am ET and ends at midnight ET on November 21, 2012.
4. Selection Process: Ten (10) finalists will be selected by a governing committee chosen by the Sponsors based on criteria set by Sponsors’ board of directors.
5. Voting Period: Finalists will be eligible for voting from December 1, 2012 to December 31, 2012. The finalist with the most votes will be pronounced the winner of the competition. Facebook fans of the National Drowning Prevention Alliance may vote once per day or every 24-hour period.
6. Prize: The winner of the Competition will receive a trip to the 12th Annual National Drowning Prevention Symposium in Fort Lauderdale, FL from March 13-15, 2013. Hotel, airfare and conference fees will be covered for the winner of the Competition.
7. Notification: Winner will be notified by email or phone and may be required to sign and return, where legal, an Affidavit of Eligibility and Liability/Publicity Release within seven (7) days of prize notification. If winner cannot be contacted, if any prize is returned as undeliverable, or in the event of noncompliance with these Official Rules, the prize will be forfeited and an alternate winner will be selected, time permitting. Upon prize forfeiture, no compensation will be given. Limit one prize per person or household.
The winner of the Competition will be invited to attend 12th Annual National Drowning Prevention Symposium in Fort Lauderdale, FL. The Symposium will be held from March 13-15, 2013.
8. License/Usage: By entering the Competition, entrants fully and unconditionally agree to be bound by these Official Rules, which will be final and binding in all matters relating to the Competition. By entering, entrants agree to the use of their names, likenesses, biographical information, and/or statements for purposes of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. If any winner is deemed a minor, then such prize will be awarded to winner’s parent or legal guardian.
9. Release: By participating, entrants and winners agree to release and hold harmless Sponsors, its advertising and promotion agencies and Competition partners, and each of their parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers and directors, from any and all liability, for loss, harm, damage, injury, cost or expense whatsoever including without limitation, property damage, personal injury and/or death which may occur in connection with, preparation for, travel to, or participation in Competition, or possession, acceptance and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any Competition-related activity and claims based on publicity rights, defamation or invasion of privacy and merchandise delivery. Neither Sponsors nor its parents, affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, divisions nor related companies are responsible for any damages, taxes, or expenses that winners might incur as a result of this Competition or receipt of prize. Entrants who do not comply with these Official Rules, or attempt to interfere with this Competition in any way, may be disqualified.
10. Additional Terms: In case of dispute as to identity of entrant, entry will be declared made by the authorized account holder of the email address submitted at time of entry. “Authorized Account Holder” is defined as the natural person who is assigned an email address by an Internet access provider, online service provider, or other organization (e.g., business, educational, institution, etc.) responsible for assigning email addresses or the domain associated with the submitted email address. Any attempted form of entry other than as set forth above is prohibited; no automatic, programmed; robotic or similar means of entry are permitted. Sponsors, its affiliates, partners and Competition and advertising agencies are not responsible for technical, hardware, software, telephone or other communications malfunctions, errors or failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections, web site, Internet, or ISP availability, unauthorized human intervention, traffic congestion, incomplete or inaccurate capture of entry information (regardless of cause) or failed, incomplete, garbled, jumbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit one’s ability to enter the Competition, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participating in this Competition or downloading any materials in this Competition. Sponsors reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, extend or suspend this Competition should (in its sole discretion) virus, bugs, non-authorized human intervention, fraud or other causes beyond its control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness or proper conduct of the Competition. In case of termination, Sponsors will select the winners from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Sponsors. Sponsors reserve the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds, in its sole discretion, to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Competition or web site. Sponsors may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Competition or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines that said entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition by cheating, hacking, deception, or other unfair playing practices (including the use of automated quick entry programs) or intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other entrants or Sponsors’ representatives. Sponsors are not responsible if Competition cannot take place or if any prize cannot be awarded due to travel cancellations, delays or interruptions due to acts of God.
National Drowning Prevention Alliance
One Hall of Fame Drive
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316
USA Swimming Foundation
1 Olympic Plaza
Colorado Springs, CO 80909